Saturday 22 March 2014

Lemon Curd



Over the last couple of weekends I have tried numerous recipes for lemon/orange curd,  frankly I didn't like them, most were a pain to make and didn't work.  Today I tried yet another recipe which on paper, well computer really, looked easyish. 

This was to be my final try as I dislike waste and wasting lemons and eggs is just wrong as I can do many more enjoyable things with them.

Success!  I have found a nice easy recipe that works.



1 cup lemon juice (about 6 medium lemons)
1 cup sugar
110g butter
4 whole eggs
4 egg yolks
1/4 cup corn flour (corn starch)

In a saucepan heat the lemon juice, sugar and butter to just before simmering.
In a mixer mix together eggs, yolks and corn flour.  When the liquid is hot pour into the mixer with motor running on medium in a slow steady stream, you don't want to scramble the eggs.  When all the liquids are combined transfer the mix back to the saucepan and heat over a low flame, stirring until thickened.  You may towards the end need to whisk to keep smooth.  Turn the curd out into a bowl and cover with cling film directly on top of the curd to prevent forming a skin and place in the fridge to cool.

Keep the egg whites as you can use them in my next post.  Lemon Mousse Pie.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment