Saturday 1 August 2015

Vanilla Malt Ice Cream with Mars Bar chunks and a Caramel swirl


I love making Ice Cream at home,  I bought myself a beautiful Cuisinart Ice Cream maker 2 years ago because I love it that much.  I love to make all kind of flavours and most of it is trial and error, although I haven't had too many errors.

I was just going to make a plain old vanilla base for this however while scolding the cream I decided to throw in some Malted Milk Powder (I am a bit addicted to it, can't you tell??)

Scott loves ice cream and caramel and I love Mars Bars so I decided to combine them all into one and boy was it yum!  I had this jar of Dulce de Leche in the cupboard and decided that now was the time to use it.

If you want to make this you are best making the Base the night before and allowing it to cool overnight in the fridge.


1 cup whole milk
1 cup cream
1 vanilla bean, split
2 to 3 tablespoons malted milk powder
5 egg yolks
1/4 cup caster sugar

3 Mars Bars, chopped
3 to 4 tablespoons caramel or Dulce de Leche



In a saucepan heat cream and milk, with split and scraped vanilla seed.  Stir through malt powder until dissolved.  Heat until little bubbles appear around the edge of the pan.


While the cream is heating whisk the egg yolks and sugar until light and fluffy.


With the motor running on low add the hot cream slowly to the egg mixture to allow to combine without scrambling the eggs.


Strain the mixture back into the saucepan making sure you get all the vanilla seeds (my precious). Over a low heat stir continuously until the mixture thickens to a custard consistency.


Pour into a heat proof jug.


Cover with plastic wrap directly on the custard and set aside to cool to room temperature.  Refrigerate over night.


Place cold custard into your ice cream maker and follow manufacturers directions.


Yummy!


Chop your Mars Bars.  Shhhh I won't tell anyone if you sneak a bit!  When your ice cream is ready place 3/4 of the Mars Bars through the mixture to until combined.  When placing ice cream into your freezer container place a third of the ice cream then swirl through a spoon of the caramel, continue with another third of the ice cream and another scoop of caramel.  Repeat with the remaining ice cream and caramel then place the remaining Mars Bars on top.  Place your lid on and freeze for minimum 4 hours to set.


Of course you have to taste it before you freeze it!


Scoop and enjoy.  Remember the Mars Bar chunks will be hard so watch your teeth.




4 comments:

  1. Well this is all kinds of wicked isn't it? YUM.
    I brought one to, although I haven't used it in a while. I brought it when I found out I was lactose intolerant and wanted to make my own ice-cream. The good thing is I have tablets now, saves me the drama. But this makes me want to pull it back out, it looks incredible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim :) I love making ice cream. I made strawberry frozen yoghurt last week and a lemon sorbetto and my boys love them. The ice cream that always gets asked for by friends and family is Baileys ice cream mmmmm

      Delete
  2. There's nothing quite like homemade icecream, is there? Obviously it takes longer than just popping down to the shops, but where's the fun in that? The chunks of Mars Bar mixed through this one sound way too tempting Kate... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have tried a couple of non custard type ice creams lately and frozen yoghurt Lisa and I must say they are good as well. We have strawberry frozen yoghurt going up this saturday coming on the blog that went down a treat with everyone.

      Delete