Saturday 9 April 2016

Slow Cooker Meatballs Romanov



In the immortal words of Ned Stark....

Winter is Coming!

Well it is here in the Southern Hemisphere.

Now as Daylight Savings has ended and the days are shorter and cooler, we are wanting to come home from work to comforting warming food that takes very little effort.

My slow cooker kind of never goes away, I use it all year round,  However the comfort of coming home on a cold, dark evening from work, to a warm house that smells fantastic and only having to cook either some potatoes or noodles is great!

If I remember rightly the original recipe for this came off the back of a Savoury Hot Pot packet when I was a kid.  I have adapted it since and this is the final outcome.  This is a very forgiving recipe and you can add all kinds of things such as grated carrot and or zucchini.

400 gm beef mince
1 egg
200 gm button mushrooms
1 onion, diced
1 cup beef stock
1 cup water
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1/4 cup corn flour
salt and pepper
1/2 cup sour cream


In your slow cooker bowl place your diced onion and mushrooms, if small enough leave whole if larger halve or quarter mushrooms.



In a mixing bowl place the mince, salt, pepper and egg.  thoroughly mix together and roll into meatballs.  Toss meatballs in cornflour and place in a single layer in your slow cooker bowl including any left over cornflour.


In a jug mix together the stock, water and tomato paste.  Pour into the slow cooker.

Cook on low for 5 to 6 hours.

30 minutes before serving, when you put on your potatoes etc., stir the sour cream through your meatballs.


Serve with pasta or mash and veggies.


8 comments:

  1. Yum - kinda like beef stroganoff meatballs. I think this would be a hit in our household.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shari, It is a little like strogonoff meatballs :D and tastes just as good!

      Delete
  2. I got my slow cooker out last week Kate! love the flavour of meals made in there - your meatballs sound delicious

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jayne. I don't know why my slow cooker doesn't just live on the bench these days.

      Delete
  3. Yum, these look really yummy and I know they'd be a hit in our house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think with kids and meatballs you can't really go wrong! They are always a fun food :)

      Delete
  4. Well doesn't this just sound delicious. Meatball casserole! I love it!
    I never put my slow cooker away either. I'm suprised the thing hasn't karked it! It was my saviour on 40+ days this summer. Stopped the house from getting hot and gave us pulled pork for days! lol
    Thanks for linking up to Your Weekly Feed. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim. I haven't done a pulled pork yet however I may be giving it a go this winter. We do love the roast leg of lamb in the slow cooker.

      Delete