Saturday 15 July 2017

Homemade Ricotta


I have always wanted to make my own Ricotta and, as you do, thought it was difficult and would be time consuming.  Well I made this and well it only took me 20 minutes, including cleanup.

This is so easy and much cheaper than buying it.  I found I could make this of an evening while cooking dinner, leave it to drain and just before bed put it in the fridge for use the next day!

Much nicer than bought Ricotta which has been sitting there for ages.

You can keep this in the fridge in an airtight plastic container or jar for up to 2 weeks.

2 ltrs whole milk
1/2 cup cream
3 tablespoons lemon juice


Heat your milk and cream to a rolling boil, don't let it boil over.


Add the lemon juice and stir until it looks curdled.  Normally you avoid this stage, here you are looking for it.


Line a sieve with muslin (cheese cloth) or paper towel over a bowl.  Gently pour the curdled milk through, you may need to tip some of the whey out of the bowl below if it fills too quickly.  Allow to drain and cool to room temp before placing in a plastic airtight container or jar.

Refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.


No comments:

Post a Comment