Saturday 10 May 2014

Not my Mama's Tiramisu


Happy Mother's Day to my Mum, Nana and both of my Aunties, I love you all very much, each and every one of you has shaped who I am and how I think and cook!

Now the title doesn't mean I don't love my Mum's Tiramisu!  I however find it a little heavy, so I tried many things to find a slightly lighter one, lots of chefs recipes some Italian Nona's recipes etc., etc. 

In the end I mixed a couple of recipes together including Mum's and the Italian Nona's.

**Warning this recipe has raw egg yolks**

4 egg yolks
1/4 cup castor sugar
2 x 250g mascarpone cheese
1/2 cup Marsala (or other type of liqueur eg rum)
1 1/2 cups cools strong coffee eg espresso
1 package of lady finger biscuits or savioradi (Italian sponge fingers)
dark chocolate to grate or cocoa powder


In your stand mixer or mixing bowl place the egg yolks and sugar. 


With a whisk attachment whisk together on high until doubled in size and light and fluffy.



Lower the speed to medium and add 1/4 cup of Marsala, 1/4 cup of coffee, and the mascarpone. Whisk until smooth.  Set aside.


Combine the remaining 1/4 cup Marsala and 1 1/4 cups coffee in a shallow bowl.


Dip one side of each ladyfinger in the coffee mixture and line the bottom of a 9 x 9 x 2-inch dish.


Pour half the mascarpone cream mixture over the top and spread evenly.


Repeat another layer of the dipped ladyfingers over the mascarpone cream.


Top with the remaining half of the mascarpone cream and spread evenly.




Grate dark chocolate generously over the top and refrigerate.

Refrigerate for at lest 4 hours.  Serve

No comments:

Post a Comment