Tuesday 21 April 2015

Chocolate Waffles and a Superstorm!

 
Newcastle went to bed last night with a Severe Storm warning.  Throughout the night the wind and rain was quite severe.  Then wind blew out some of the fencing panels as you can see below and the rain left lakes in the front and backyards.  At about 5.50am the power went out and Scott and I had to do our daily drive to the Mater.  So with no coffee in me I proceeded to get in the car and drive carefully.
 
There were trees down everywhere most on the roads or footpaths but some on houses and garages.  The SES (State Emergency Services), Police, Fireies and Ambos are all flat out today as the Super Storm keeps raging.  All our schools and a lot of businesses were closed due to flooding and power outages.  Thanks to the Emergency Services for all their ongoing fantastic work.
 
 
 
At home this afternoon with power back on I decided that the cold, wet and stormy day needed some cheering up.  I made chocolate waffles.  I stood there thinking that I could make them like a childhood treat.  Friends and family from Melbourne will know what I mean when I say "Mad Hatters Special"  we used to go to the Pancake Parlour and have these pancakes.  I made them with waffles and oh boy where they good!
 
This makes 8 waffles
 
150g dark chocolate chopped
90g butter
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups plain flour
3/4 cup castor sugar
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
 
 
Preheat your waffle machine to the correct setting.
 

 
Melt your chocolate and butter together in the microwave for 30 seconds on high.  Set aside to cool slightly.

 
Beat your milk, eggs and vanilla together.

 
In a bowl mix together your flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and cocoa together

 
Mix your melted chocolate and milk mix together.

 
Whisk your wet ingredients into your dry and mix until you have no lumps.

 
Pour the required amount of mix into your heated waffle machine as per directions.  Cook for required time, my machine for chocolate waffles is 5 minutes.


 
Top with desired toppings, I used vanilla ice cream, chocolate syrup, maple syrup and sprinkles.

Dive in!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment