Saturday 18 April 2015

Marshmallow and a sugar coma

 
I have always wanted to make Marshmallow, again a bit scared of making it was the sticking point!  Shall I say also, very conflicting recipes as well!  Confusion reigned in my mind and I ummed and ahhed.  I found a recipe that I could follow and well here is how we proceeded. 
 
A couple of bits of house keeping first of all.  Yes the photos have a LOT of white in them!  I should have made pink marshmallow I now realise.  Second I have given you the recipe as a third of the original, I found the recipe I used was WAY too big and probably and industrial recipe from a professional kitchen to begin with!
 
Mum and Dad bought me an early birthday present, I got a little kitchen blow torch :D <--- Happy Me! So I am going to have to play with it and well kill some marshmallow and experiment.
 
4 sheets gelatin
1/3 cup glucose syrup (light corn syrup)
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
pinch of salt
 
1/4 cup cornflour
1/4 cup icing sugar
 
 
 
Spray a 9" x 9" baking dish with cooking spray or a non flavoured spray oil.  Line the bottom with 2 sheets of baking paper and lightly spray with oil.


 
Soak  the gelatin sheets in cold water until softened and set aside.

 
In saucepan place half the glucose syrup and the sugar.  Heat on medium until the sugar is dissolved and your candy thermometer reads "soft ball" 240F.

 
In a second saucepan place an inch of water, squeeze the water from the gelatin and place in saucepan of water to melt over medium heat.

 
Keep an eye on your sugar mix as it will bubble while heating.

 
Place the other half of your glucose in the bowl of your stand mixer, place the melted gelatin mixture in the bowl and turn on low to mix.  Pour the sugar mixture down the side of the mixing bowl on low speed (remember this is boiling so please be careful).

 
If you have a splatter guard place it on while your mixer is still on low speed.  Turn your mixer up to high speed and allow to whisk for 15 minutes.

 
Turn your mixer off and add the vanilla and salt.  Mix again to ensure these are mixed in completely.

 
See there is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy to much mixture!  This is why I cut the recipe.

 
Pour the mixture into your prepared dish and place in a dry area out of the way to set.  I left mine overnight to set.

 
The next day (or when your marshmallow is set) sift the cornflour and icing sugar together into a bowl.

 
Turn your set marshmallow onto a piece of baking paper sprinkled with the sugar mixture or sprinkle the sugar mixture directly on the top of the marshmallow prior to turning over.


When you turn out the marshmallow sprinkle the top with the sugar mixture and cut up to your desired size.


Roll the pieces of marshmallow in the sugar mixture and store in an airtight plastic container if you are not using it straight away.

 
If you can wait make yourself a hot chocolate and toss a good sized chunk of marshmallow into it, hide in a corner and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment