Saturday 7 May 2016

Ina Garten's Banana Cake


I don't know about you but when banana's get to that spotty black stage, I can't give them away to anyone in this house!  I normally slice them up and stick them in a ziploc bag in the freezer.  

Then I find I have lots of little ziploc bags in the freezer *sigh* I found a number of such bags in the freezer this week.  Now we are having freezer use it or loose it month!  I have decided we need to use everything in the freezer before I restock it!

First thing to go is the banana's!

3 ripe banana's (mashed)
3/4 cup caster sugar
1/2 light brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
1/2 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
grated zest of one orange
2 cups plain flour
1 teaspoon baking soda (bicarb)



If using frozen banana's you will need to defrost them.  In your mixing bowl combine caster sugar, brown sugar and banana's, mix on low until combined.


Add your eggs, oil and sour cream to the banana mix.  Beat on low until combined.


Sift together your dry ingredients and stir through the banana mix until just combined.


Butter an flour your cake tin for the best results.


Spread your cake mix evenly in your cake tin.  Pre heat your oven to 175C.  Place cake in pre heated oven and bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.  Allow to cool in the pan for 5 minutes then turn out and cool on cake rack until room temperature.




You can ice this with either a cream cheese frosting or as I have done a lemon icing.  Lemon icing is just 1 and 1/2 cups icing sugar and the juice of half a lemon.  Drizzle over the top and allow to set.


No comments:

Post a Comment