Saturday 29 November 2014

Monte Carlo Whoopie Pies

 

I feel like biscuits, I feel like cake....
 
Do I have biscuits or do I have cake???
 
Can I have both????
 
If you are Australian you grew up with Monte Carlo biscuits!  They are to Aussie kids as Oreos were to American kids growing up.  You twist them apart and eat the filling, a nice mixture of vanilla fake cream and jam, then you toss the biscuit because they were dry and not so nice! ahhh the memories of childhood.
 
I found a way to have my cake and eat my biscuit too.
 
WHOOPIE PIES!
 
 
115g butter softened
200g soft brown sugar
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1 large egg
300g plain flour
11⁄4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
Pinch salt
225ml buttermilk
 
Pre-heat the oven to 170C and line two baking trays with baking paper.
 
 
In your mixer beat the butter and sugar together until thick and creamy then add the egg and mix until combined, add mix the sifted flour, salt and bicarb soda then mix in the buttermilk
 

 
 Use an ice-cream scoop to spoon scoops of batter onto the baking trays making sure you leave a few centimetres between each scoop, sprinkle each with castor sugar.

 
Bake for 10- 12 minutes or until they’re firm then transfer to a wire rack to cool.
 
Filling
110g room temp butter
80g room temp cream cheese
250g icing sugar
jam of choice

 
Beat the butter and cream cheese until smooth slowly add the icing sugar until combined.


 
Spread jam and filling on the cooled cakes join and enjoy.  Alternately you can stir 2 spoons of jam through the cream  to give a ripple effect and pipe the filling onto the cakes adding a little jam as a dot in the middle.

 
I don't think you will through these ones in the bin.

No comments:

Post a Comment